Capital Investment Entrant Scheme

Is the applicant allowed to withdraw any capital gain from the permissible investment asset classes under the Scheme? Alternatively, is it necessary to top up the value of permissible investment asset classes under the scheme if the value falls below the requisite minimum level?

The applicant is not allowed to withdraw any capital gain from his/her investment if its market value rises above the requisite level. Cash dividend income and interest income derived from permissible financial assets can be withdrawn by the applicant and does not need to be ring-fenced under the scheme. On the other hand, the applicant is not required to top up the value of his/her investment in any asset classes should the value of his/her total investment under the scheme fall below the requisite minimum level of HK$10 million.

Last Update: 2016-07-08

Is the applicant allowed to switch between permissible investment asset classes under the scheme?

The applicant is free to switch investments from one permissible asset class to another, provided that the entire proceeds from the sale of initial assets are reinvested. He/She should keep a record of every change to his/her investment for the purpose of applying for an extension of stay in Hong Kong._x000B_

Last Update: 2016-07-08

Can the applicant open two CIES accounts? Can he/she switch to another commissioned financial intermediary?

Applicant should only open one designated CIES account in his own name with one single financial intermediary. He/She can switch to another qualified financial intermediary at any time, but he/she must transfer all his/her designated financial assets from the former account to the new account, except for cash dividend or interest income directly accrued from the designated financial assets in the designated account._x000B_

Last Update: 2016-07-08

Is the applicant allowed to bring in their dependants?

The applicant may be allowed to bring in their dependants (i.e. spouse and unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age) provided that the applicant is capable of supporting and accommodating his/her dependants on his/her own without relying on any return on the permissible investment assets, employment or public assistance in Hong Kong.

Last Update: 2016-07-08

Does the applicant need to give up the Chinese passport after CIES application?

No need. During the 7 years, applicants and his/her family member(s) can present the Chinese passports or permits when travelling in and out of China. They can use valid HKID cards to travel in/ out of Hong Kong through e-Channels, while holding their valid Chinese passports or permits._x000B_

Last Update: 2016-07-08

How do Chinese citizens apply for CIES?

As the Scheme does not cover Chinese citizens, applicants should obtain permanent resident status in a foreign country before applying for CIES.

Last Update: 2016-07-08

Back To Top